Saturday, December 04, 2004

FreeBSD Install and Configuration

I have downloaded and installed FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE. After using Gentoo Linux for the past year, and Red Hat Linux for several years before that, it was a different experience. It is going to take a little bit more time than I initially thought before I can run the tests on network processing speeds with Snort. Right now I am working on getting all of the necessary packages and tools installed to get the system up to date. I am very suprised at how different FreeBSD is compared to Linux... I had always assumed that the two were identical.

The installation went very smoothly, with it taking very little time (less than 1 hour). I re-booted the machine and it was lightning fast. I have not had a machine boot this fast before. The boot process does pause twice to accept user input, which is not what I prefer, I would rather the machine just boot straight into the default kernel, but I'll have to play with that setting later. I'll try to post a time for the boot as well.

No comments: